Of course we had to talk about food, because food is awesome right? I am currently stuffing my face with food so, obviously it is to me. :::getting sticky fingerprints all over my laptop:::
Anywho, let’s jump right into my top 4 Food Tips, some of my personal favorite foods that I ate in college, and others I didn’t that I should have!
You May Also Like: My Top 10 Favorite Foods
Food tip #1:
Do not buy a lot of food that needs to be refrigerated because your mini fridge is just that-MINI. You can’t fit a lot of food in there. So remember that when you go food shopping. I suggest buying food that can just be stored in bins, drawers, or on a shelf because they can be put anywhere and won’t expire so fast.
Food tip #2:
You also don’t want to buy a lot of food because you will have a meal plan to eat off of! Remember that! You are already paying for it, so use it! I suggest using your meal plan to eat during the week as much as you can and then go to your stash of food for extra snacks when you’ve run out of blocks, swipes, and dining dollars so you are utilizing the meal plan and not wasting that money.
Food tip #3:
Do not buy a lot of cooking supplies because you will not be cooking as much as you think you will be. 1 being because after you cook you have to do the dishes-gross and 2 because you have a meal plan! So don’t take up space buying spray butter, parsley, eggs, flour, and sugar to make cakes and stuff with! Just wait until you know you are planning on cooking a meal and make a trip with your roommate to the store to go shopping for some items!
Food tip #4:
Like I said before, you don’t want to do a lot of dishes in college so when buying eating utensils go with plastic! Buy paper plates, bowls, cups, and plastic forks, knives, and spoons. Or just go to the dining halls and “borrow” a lot of theirs. I am not condoning stealing, but a college broke girl’s gotta do what a college broke girl’s gotta do. :::shrugs:::
College Food Essentials
- Coffee – the Keurig is super easy!
- Hot Chocolate – yumm
- Water Bottles/Brita Water Bottle/Pitcher
- Peanut Butter Crackers
- Ramen Noodles – you will hope your hallway either smells like burn popcorn or ramen noodles instead of…whatever that other smell is.
- Popcorn – you will eat POUNDS of popcorn, I promise you!
- Bread, Peanut Butter, & Jelly – the perfect college sandwich.
- Nutrigrain Bars – for those ‘I woke up late’ mornings.
- Bagels & cream cheese – for those ‘I woke up 10 minutes before I needed to leave’ mornings.
- Cereal/Oatmeal – for those ‘I woke up a half hour before my alarm’ mornings. Which will happen very rarely, but when it does you’ll have a good breakfast!
- Fruit Snacks – I suggest the ones meant for little kids that come in cute little shapes and characters, because who cares.
- Goldfish – I mean who doesn’t love Goldfish
- Carrots & Ranch – if you’re feeling a little fancy for snack time.
- Icecream – for that ‘time of the month’ or those ‘boys aint shit’ moments.
- Pizza Rolls – for those dorm PARRTTAAAYYYS with you and your roomie.
- Hot Pockets – :::sings hot pocket theme song:::
As you can see from my list I like to stick to mostly snack-y foods when it comes to dorm food because YOU HAVE A MEAL PLAN! Go eat real food with your meal plan people! Your dorm room food is meant to suffice when it’s 3am and all the dining locations are closed OR you’re not hungry enough to leave your dorm and put on pants, either one.
If you have any other dorm room foods that were your lifesaver during college or foods you are planning on bringing please leave them in the comments below so we can grow our list!
PS here’s your reminder that I only have 14 days until I move in, AHHH!!!! :::franticly running around my apartment trying to get everything ready:::